Potato peelings are unnecessarily thrown away when they are a great source of fibre and easy to turn into a delicious snack.
At Foodsave, we often collect a large number of potatoes from supermarkets. Although they keep for a long time if stored correctly, up to 4.4 million potatoes are wasted daily in Britain.
Even for the potatoes we consume, with the average Brit eating 102 kg per year, the fibrous skin is often destined for the bin.
We’re all about reducing waste at Foodsave, so why not turn your peelings into a quick and tasty snack?
- Potato peelings
- 1-2 tsp of oil
- Salt and pepper
- Other spices for seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Wash the skins to remove any excess starch
- Lay peelings evenly on a baking tray
- Drizzle the oil evenly over the peelings and season to taste
- Pop them in the oven for 8-10 minutes until brown and crunchy
The great thing about this recipe is there are many variations! You could:
- Soak the peelings in vinegar before you put them on the tray to make salt and vinegar crisps
- Sprinkle some parmesan onto your crisps for extra flavour after roasting
- Use other peelings, such as carrots or parsnips
- Try cooking them in an air fryer instead of the oven
Have you got a favourite potato recipe? Share it with us!